The following is a list of similar films and television shows similar to The Last Ship and it's book of the same name.
- 24: This show ran for eight seasons (from 2001 to 2010) and chronicles a Counter Terrorism Unit that tried to contain terrorist acts of various kinds.
- Contagion: A third-person virus thriller set around a town and it's various citizens, containment units and political backdrop.
- Crimson Tide: This 1995 action-war thriller follows a World War III scenario where the sub captain and XO have a mutiny over whether to launch nuclear missiles at Russia following an attack related to Chechen rebels.
- Die Hard: This was the first of six films following a police officer trapped in many impossible and incredibly hostile situations. This film has inspired countless imitators and blockbuster films and shows (most of which are mentioned on here).
- E-Ring: This show, which ran for one season, is set inside the nation's ultimate fortress: the Pentagon. It's a hub of highly explosive conflicts between American military heroes and the civilians to whom they report -- a world where crises can escalate into life-and-death climaxes, for individuals or entire nations.
- Last Resort: This show follows a American submarine which is forced to land on a nearby island following being attacked by it's own country and after questioning missiles that would possibly incite World War III. The rest of the show chronicles the crew trying to take on various mutinies, figure out the political conspiracy that has befallen the world and other
- NCIS: This action-crime-comedy-mystery show chronicles military policemen led by Agent Gibbs and the various terrorist acts and unusual murders they end up having to solve.
- Outbreak: This 1995 viral disaster thriller is about a fictional Ebola-like virus called Motaba in Zaire and later in a small town in the United States. Its primary settings are government disease control centers USAMRIID and the CDC, and the fictional town of Cedar Creek, California. The film's plot speculates how far military and civilian agencies might go to contain the spread of a deadly contagion.
- Strike Back: A British television series that co-starred Rhona Mitra and which ran for five seasons (from 2010 to 2015) and which covers the actions of 'Section 20', a secretive unit of British military intelligence. The characters are a team of special operations personnel conduct several high risk missions throughout the globe.
- Under Siege: This 1992 military action film covers a takeover of a naval cruise ship by mercenaries. The only thing stopping the mercs now is an ex-Navy SEAL.
- The Unit: This show which ran for four seasons (from 2006 to 2009) chronicles a group of Delta Force operatives who often go on missions using often illegal yet lethal means of warfare. It also covers the army wives melodrama, various counterterroism activities and other challenging missions that the team has to solve.